Damn and blast and hell and damn

I wrote a long [long, long, LONG] post on things I had learned from NaNoWriMo. I pressed ‘save’. Mein Host had hysterics and lost the entire thing.

Not that I’d done anything clever, like type it out in TextEdit first, so I could always have a back-up to play with.

I have just spent fifteen minutes lying on my stomach at the very edge of the abyss, leaning in and poking about in the darkness beneath with a long pole, to no avail. It’s gone.

Fuck it, I’m going to bed.

This entry was posted in The Capacious Hold-All. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Damn and blast and hell and damn

1. archie says:

Been there, done that, used stronger expletives! (I assume you know just how obscene the word “carob” is to a true chocoholic), I have learnt to “save” within the composition page of WP about every five or ten minutes. This will then give you a draft which you can go back to in the event of disaster.

The widgets and wiles of WordPress
    Have hidden an urge to oppress
    The writers like Reed
    Whose need to succeed
    When thwarted will lead to distress.

2. Reed says:

At least I have a limerick to cheer me up. Thank you, Archie.

Mind you, you did also say the C word, so now I have to go and wash my ears out and also eat cocoa neat from the tin to take away the thought of the taste. I shall be wired all day now.

3. charlotte says:

Well, gosh. Darn. Drat. I would have enjoyed that post.

Sorry you – and us – were foiled by the vagaries of WordPress.

4. God I hate it when that happens. I haven’t even been on here that long and I have had posts disappear into the ether. I haven’t ever used the word carob, though. Must add it to my rather extensive repertoire.

5. Aphra Behn says:

*hugs and gin and chocolate for Reed*

Hmmmm. I wonder what my own true swear word is? At the moment is it Blair, I think, but really a swear word should have a good constonant in it.

*ambles off pensively*

6. Helen says:

I’m glad I’m not the only person in a bad mood. I’ve just lost a) a red fire engine, b) a Humpty Dumpty book, and c) a $2 bit, all in the space of a couple of days. I wish life had a back-up facility.

7. I hate the electronic abyss. Grrr.

I think ‘bum’ is an excellent swearword, personally, but then I rather like the b sound as a consonant. I also think that the feeling you put into the word is often more important than the word itself. I can pour an astonishing level of invective into an innocent word like ‘monkeys’ if I need to.

He really can, you know.

Poor Reed, cyberspace can be a frustrating place. Grr to lost things. Substitute swear-word-wise (!), I like bloomin/flipping…. (insert anything of your choice). Or just a large GRRRR, when no words will quite do.

He really can, you know.

See what I mean! Grrr!

11. Reed says:

You’re all frightfully polite. Should I feel hotly embarrassed because I coarsely go around using words like ‘fuck’?

Though, of course, not at work and not in front of my mother.

12. Aphra Behn says:

>> Should I feel hotly embarrassed because I coarsely go around using words like ‘fuck’?

Not at all darling, they are in the language for a reason. :-)

AB

13. I have been known to utter them, but generally not in public. Stress levels have to be incredibly high, but it is rather satisfying to use a proper swearword on occasion.

Most of the time my uttered language is fairly tame – after all, one wouldn’t want to scare the horses. What I am actually thinking but not saying might be rather different.
    But when I get behind the wheel of a car, I turn into the foulest-mouthed harridan – spraying out effs, and bees and cees at anybody who has the temerity to cross my path. My physical language also detriorates as I happily wave different combinations of fingers at white-van-men and beemers and contort my facial muscles into the most unflattering arrangements.

And I am only mildly ashamed since this splenic swear venting is wonderfully therapeutic and harms no-one.

15. Pingback: Out of ideas » Blog Archive » Shut up about the NaNoWriMo already